As our families improve and seasons modify, we generally experience the require to give our spaces a makeover so they continue to mirror who we are these days. The superior news is there are uncomplicated and reasonably priced strategies to assist your kitchen hold up with your switching times–refinishing or painting your cupboards.
Whichever you opt for, you can relaxation assured that a clean glance in your kitchen area goes a lengthy way to creating your household mirror you, your family members and the friends you invite to sit all-around your table.
Are you looking to protect up blemishes or incorporate some colorful aptitude to your house? If so, painting could possibly be the way to go! Conversely, if you’re more intrigued in restoring the natural glow of your wood or retaining the integrity of your cupboards, you could decide on to refinish them alternatively.
Let us consider a appear at the big difference concerning cabinet refinishing vs. painting.
The most significant variation among refinishing and painting your cupboards is the system. In the finish, both technique should really consequence in an up-to-date, contemporary seem to your kitchen and one that will provide a wonderful track record to the memories you make there. That claimed, let’s glance at the over-all method included in refinishing your cabinets.
- Begin by sanding every single area of the cabinets working with an electric sander or hand-held sandpaper, or you can pick to strip the wood chemically.
- Utilize a stain to your wood cupboards. Only use a fine bristle to utilize the stain to the cupboards, hold out a couple of minutes for the stain to set, and then use a thoroughly clean, lint-free rag to wipe off surplus stain. Soon after that, you only wait around for the stain to dry.
- Implement at the very least two coats of appropriate varnish or polyurethane, employing possibly a sprayer or a higher-top quality brush. Sand the cabinets lightly concerning coats for a clean, resilient end.
The process of refinishing your cabinets commonly can take 3-5 times, dependent on the amount of square footage you have to cover as effectively as the amount of time you have to dedicate to the endeavor every single day.
Now that you have a standard plan of the method involved in refinishing your cabinets, and in advance of we move on to the painting approach, let us summarize with a record of the pros of cabinet refinishing!
Pros of Cabinet Refinishing
- Relying on the present ailment of your cupboards, this may perhaps be the cheaper selection.
- Demonstrate off your attractive cabinets–if your cupboards are made of actual wooden, you can improve the beauty of what you presently have by refinishing them.
- Refinishing generally lends itself to minimum blunders, whilst poorly painted cupboards can outcome in seen flaws.
Cons of Cabinet Refinishing
- Sanding your cupboards generates a lot of dust. Unless of course you come to a decision to strip your wooden cupboards chemically, there is no having away from the clouds of dust this technique will depart behind.
- Needs specialized instruments that typical homeowners may possibly not have access to.
- The challenge can choose a very long time depending on how quite a few cupboards your kitchen has.
The most important difference between cupboard painting and cupboard refinishing is the methods they just about every acquire to full the task. It will take for a longer period to refinish cabinets than it does to paint them. That stated, the further time can be well worth it if you want your consequence to be a look that includes a more colorful and modern day aesthetic.
To paint your cupboards:
- Eliminate your cabinet doors and prep your painting location.
- Key your cabinets.
- Spot-sand any protruding surfaces in the primer, as effectively as caulk any open up seams and fill any dings, dents or scratches with a putty knife.
Whilst this process can be a little bit tedious, the a lot more detailing you do in this phase, the smoother your cabinets will glimpse in the conclude.
- Apply the very first coat. Then, depending on the style of paint you choose and the colour you’ve selected, you may possibly want to include a second or even a third coat.
Pros of Cupboard Painting
- Low-cost when in comparison to other kitchen cupboard up grade possibilities.
- Highly multipurpose in conditions of color, finish and aesthetic.
- Rather rapid for the amount of money of aesthetic affect it has on your area.
Downsides of Cupboard Painting
- Time-consuming to prep your workspace for a quality complete.
- Do-it-yourself painted cabinets may possibly scuff, crack and chip more quickly than a specialist application.
For a closer seem, examine out our Kitchen area Cupboard Painting procedure online video down below:
Need to I Paint or Refinish My Kitchen Cabinets?
If you are delighted with the structure of your cabinetry and the situation of the current wooden is fantastic, you may possibly want to merely refinish them. On the other hand, if you want to produce a drastically new glance and paint your cupboards to coordinate with your present decor, you could possibly want to paint.
In general, how you pick to give your kitchen area cupboards a improve relies upon on the look you want to build, the ambiance you want your place to reflect and the aesthetic you want to develop for all the gatherings that will inevitably conclusion up in your kitchen area.
Selecting Kitchen Cabinet Finishes
Immediately after you have determined how to deal with your cupboards, now comes the enjoyable part—picking your finishes!
1st up is your color palette. Are you likely for a clean, crisp glimpse or an English cottage aesthetic? Determining the general feeling you want in your kitchen area will support manual your shade palette.
Future is your paint end. You’ve acquired 4 major selections: flat, eggshell, semigloss, and gloss. There are a ton of aspects to take into account, so check out our guide on deciding on the great finish.
At last, your cupboard hardware. From time to time, your selection of hardware can have the premier affect on your general upgrade.
Check out out these practical means to guidebook your decision-making:
Regardless of whether you select to refinish or paint your cupboards, you will want to select the suitable paint and provides for the job, as perfectly as be informed of possibly course of action in advance of you start off.
At Os Decor Painters®, we’re experts on the best procedures to update your kitchen area cupboards from start to complete. To get began on your upcoming kitchen improve, make contact with us about our cabinet refinishing and painting companies nowadays!