February 13, 2020
Irrespective of whether you have a gorgeous Queenslander or a vintage brick house, picking a new exterior house colour is a powerful way to change how people today perceive your home. A stunning exterior colour plan can give your residence a lot more visible impact and catch the attention of sellers to acquire.
With hundreds of thousands of exterior paint colours offered, choosing the ideal colour can experience overwhelming. In this write-up, we offer a prosperity of experienced guidelines from our painting professionals, plus exterior wall paint suggestions utilizing Dulux’s business-foremost Weathershield paints. Here’s how to select exterior household colours to suit any design of house.
How To Pick Exterior Dwelling Colors
Dominant, accent and trim colours
Painting your home’s exterior is all about sculpting the proportions and architectural features of your dwelling to generate a pleasing aesthetic. Essentially, your home’s exterior colour scheme should really consist of:
- A dominant colour: The main colour of your house, typically made use of for the exterior walls
An accent colour: A complementary colour for the entrance door, window frame, shutter, or any ingredient of your home that you want to stand out
A trim colour: A contrasting colour for the door casing, roof eaves, window trim, letterbox, railings, fascia, frieze, gutter and downspout
Preferably, the trim colour really should distinction sharply with the dominant colour to make a crisp final result. Most generally, you are going to uncover the trim colour painted in a light-weight neutral these types of as white or tender pale grey. For men and women looking to buck the trend and generate a bolder glimpse, pairing a gentle dominant colour with a darker trim can build a cleanse-reduce, spectacular impact.
Think about the size of your dwelling when selecting whether to opt for a light-weight colour (tint) or darkish colour (shade). If you want your dwelling to appear much larger and extra airy, decide on a light-weight tint. If you want your household to look sound and grounded, paint the foundation of your property in a darker shade.
The architectural style of your home can aid manual your choice in paint colors. For illustration, exterior colour schemes for Queenslanders usually element placing colors that keep the class of the historical architecture even though bringing it up-to-day. Believe shiny and antique whites (Dulux Regency White, Ivory or Lexicon 50 percent), sand (Dulux Portland Stone), grey (Dulux Leadman, Highgate or Aerobus), or greige (Dulux Linseed or Gentle Leather-based).
From a beachy vibe to a modern, edgy aesthetic, feel about your home’s preferred aesthetic. If you’re getting difficulties pinpointing a colour palette, we endorse seeking help from an qualified colour expert who can uncover the specific ideal match to suit your vision and your home’s fashion.
Exterior Wall Paint Tips
Attractive greige and grey
From amazing dove gray to opaque gunmetal grey and warm greige, this colour is a normal choice for exteriors. Presenting the perfect harmony of innovative modern day design and style and timeless natural beauty, this adaptable colour appears to be like particularly gorgeous when trimmed with crisp white. It also seems astounding when contrasted with exterior components such as bricks, stone and timber with a greyish undertone.
Below are some traditional pairings to test:
- Gray and white: A serene, legitimate gray like Dulux Tranquil Retreat, paired with Dulux Vivid White and Colorbond Monument
- 3 shades of gray: Dulux Teahouse and Dulux Dieskau with Colorbond Domino
- Greige and gray: Dulux Surfmist, Dulux Vivid White and Dulux Dune
A putting all-white exterior will continue to keep your home looking new and elegant. Dulux provides a range of basic shades that do the job nicely on their have and matched alongside one another:
- Clean up vivid white: Dulux Vivid White
- Ivory white: Dulux Pure White, Dulux Whisper White, Dulux Antique White U.S.A.
- Gray white: Dulux Lexicon 50 percent
Vintage still smooth and modern-day, a monochromatic black and white scheme can provide an arresting final result. Use the contrast to visually sculpt the house, highlighting daring architectural aspects or diverse substrates. Here are some possibilities:
- 50/50 equivalent black and white: Staff Dulux Vivid White in equal quantities with Dulux Black Caviar to showcase your home’s architecture
- 40/60: Pair a dusty antique white like Dulux Purely natural with the warm tone of Black Spur
- 30/70: Charcoal like Dulux Domino paired with white trim in Dulux Lexicon and Terrace White
Pastels are a popular way to lighten and brighten any facade. For timeless elegance, choose for a vintage, two-colour palette wherever a neutral can help floor the pastel:
- A beachy Hamptons aesthetic: Pair smooth blues like Dulux Zenith Heights Quarter or Dulux Greenland Ice Quarter with crisp white trim for an easy gentle and ethereal come to feel
- Tuscan – Dulux Cream and Egyptian Purple
- Traditional place – Select a gray-green eucalypt-motivated shade like Dulux Powdered Gum or Dulux Sage Inexperienced
Irresistible earthy tones
A palette of earthy colors in heat hues performs effectively for a property with timber, brick and stone options. This is the great palette if you want your home to exude a rustic vibe. Below are our favorite tips:
- Layer heat ochres, slate gray and prosperous browns: Dulux Egyptian Pink, Indian Pink or Oxblood
- Serene inexperienced: Dulux Sage Green, Dulux Olive Leaf or Dulux Antique Environmentally friendly
For a classy and timeless nautical vibe, decide strong, contrasting shades of blue and white. Tips consist of:
- Navy blue and white: Dulux Rainmaker and Dulux Antique White
- Teal blue and white: Dulux Hammock or Wentworth with Dulux Vivid White
Cobalt blue, light gray and mint: Dulux Cobalt Blue, Dulux Lexicon 50 percent and Dulux Greenland Ice Quarter
Dark navy, gold and white: Dulux Sailing Safari, Topelo Honey and Dulux Natural White
Os Decor features a Dulux Colour Consultation to completely transform your property. Intrigued in an obligation no cost estimate? Give us a contact on 01 4854448.